Organization Deems Avandia a Defective Product

Organization Deems Avandia a Defective Product

The non-profit public interest organization, Public Citizen, petitioned the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in late October to ban Avandia, a prescription drug used to treat Type 2 diabetes. Public Citizen is among the several consumer health-focused agencies that have conducted independent research on Avandia and concluded that the defective product should not be on the market as it causes personal injuries. 

Calling on the FDA to Ban the Drug

The findings from Public Citizen were obtained in conjunction with researchers from both the European Association for the Study of Diabetes and the American Diabetes Association (ADA). The ADA published the findings in their medical journal, Diabetes Care. Dr. Sidney Wolfe, director of Public Citizen’s Health Research Group, contended that "The timing of these findings should give the FDA the momentum it needs to act swiftly to prevent further needless deaths and health damage by banning this drug." 

NEJM Study Showed Same Dangers

The Public Citizen findings and petition follow the 2007 study published in The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) that explained the link between Avandia and increased risk of heart attack. Prescriptions for Avandia fell drastically after the NEJM report, but it's estimated that 4.6 million Avandia prescriptions were filled in 2007 nevertheless — about 10,000 a day, in fact. 

Several Adverse Effects of Avandia

Heart attack is not the only confirmed risk of Avandia treatment; the incidences of the following maladies are also increased among patients taking this drug: 

  • liver failure
  • bone fractures
  • anemia
  • loss of vision 

Drugs that are just as effective, but safer than Avandia (a Glaxo-SmithKline drug whose generic name is rosiglitazone) are widely available and often lower-priced.

(Source: Public Citizen) 

If You Have Been Treated with Avandia

If you or someone you love has been treated with Avandia, contact us to speak with a personal injury attorney who will explain your legal rights and ensure you receive the necessary compensation if you were harmed by the defective drug.

Find a Lawyer Now

Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.