Defective Product Lawsuits Against Continental Airlines Continues

Defective Product Lawsuits Against Continental Airlines Continues

This week the federal appeals court revived damage claims against Continental Airlines and several other airline companies by passengers that say the defective seats on flights caused them and their loved ones harm.

Passengers are claiming that the cramped seating conditions on flights caused them to suffer deep-vein thrombosis, which can sometimes lead to fatal blood clots.

Judge Revises Claims

The court recently reversed the federal judge’s dismissal claim and the case, which involves several families, has once again been re-opened.

Chief U.S. District Judge Vaughn Walker claimed in 2005 that the allegations against the airlines companies conflicted with the Airline Deregulation Act of 1978.

However, the federal appeals court disagreed.

Suits Filed

The 14 suits which were filed by passengers who became victims of thrombosis and their family members, named Continental Airlines as their lead defendant.

Some family members filed the suit on behalf of their loved ones who died due to blood clots.

Defective Seats Cause Deep-Vein Thrombosis

The suits were filed because many passengers on domestic flights were suffering from deep-vein thrombosis and blamed the defective seating on planes as the cause. 

Deep-vein thrombosis consists of blood clots that typically form in the legs and can cause a great deal of pain and swelling.

If the clot breaks loose and reaches the heart or lungs, it can be lethal.

Pregnant women and elderly passengers are particularly at risk for developing blood clots when seated in the alleged “defective seats”, which leave little to no room for the legs to move.

(Source: San Francisco Chronicle)

Do you know someone who has been harmed by a defective product? Contact us to speak with an experienced personal injury lawyer who can ensure that you and your loved ones are compensated for any harm done.

Find a Lawyer Now

Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.