Infant Hangs on After Possible Child Abuse

Infant Hangs on After Possible Child Abuse

The mother of a seven week old baby boy in Grundy County, Tennessee is under suspicion of child abuse. The Grundy County Sheriff’s Department got involved with the case after the infant was admitted to a local hospital Oct. 26. 

According to doctor reports, the baby is suffering traumatic injuries that may be the result of shaken baby syndrome. The doctors reported that the infant has a 5 percent chance of surviving the injuries, which include: 

  • Severe bleeds on the brain
  • Retinol homorganic
  • Skull fracture 

Police Investigate the Cause of Injuries

Although there have been no charges filed, Grundy County Sheriff Brent Myers said the investigation continues. According to Myers, both the mother and father of the baby are under suspicion.  

According to reports, this is not the first time the mother has been under investigation for child abuse. She, according to the Department of Child Services, has previously given up a 3-year-old and a 1-year-old to DCS. 

Case of Physical Child Abuse Hits Home

Sheriff Myers said although he has experienced case involving child abuse, this case is different. "Most child abuse cases that we get here in Grundy County are not violent. They are more cases of neglect. So this is a little bit unusual for us,” he said. 

What Constitutes child abuse?

The term child abuse refers to any situation that involves cruelty towards a child. Child abuse isn’t always physical, but can be emotional as well. The four main categories of child abuse include:

  • Neglect
  • Emotional abuse
  • Physical abuse
  • Sexual abuse

(Source: WDEF News) 

Get Help Today

If you suspect that your child, or a child that you know, has been the victim of child abuse, it is imperative to get help immediately. Contact us today to speak to an experienced, committed personal injury attorney who will fight to protect the rights of you and your child.

Find a Lawyer Now

Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.