Police Pursuit Leads to Death of Unborn Child

Police Pursuit Leads to Death of Unborn Child

A stolen car pursuit in Colorado on January 4th, 2006 led to a devastating accident and the loss of an unborn child.  Twenty-six year old Monica Ortiz was traveling to the 7-Eleven for a soda when she was struck by Taiwan Nelson, who was driving the stolen vehicle at 65 miles per hour through the residential area.  Nelson was allegedly attempting to evade a police chase when the accident occurred.  

In addition to the loss of her 26-week-old unborn baby, Ortiz suffered severe injuries including a cracked hip and tailbone, a shattered pubic bone and pelvis, a pulmonary embolism in her left lunch and an abscess on her gallbladder.  

Ortiz is now pursuing legal action not against 22-year-old Nelson, who has been jailed on multiple counts, but against the city of Aurora for what she claims are unsafe pursuit procedures.  

“That’s what ticks me off: I lost my baby because someone stole a car,” Ortiz said as she expressed her anger with the Aurora Police Department for their relentless and dangerous chase of the suspect.  
The Aurora Police Department claimed after the accident that the officers involved in the chase were following pursuit protocol accurately and that the chase had actually been called off before the accident occurred.  

Bystanders who witnessed the accident however are arguing otherwise.  According to Darin Schanker who is representing the Ortiz family, the pursuit even continued after the Ortiz had been hit and the officer continued to chase the suspect with his emergency lights illuminated.  “This is about responsibility,” comments Schanker.  

Taiwan Nelson is reportedly supporting the claim of the Ortiz family and has commented that he believed that the police pursuit was not called off at the time of the accident.  

Nelson, who is now confined at the Adams County Jail issued the statement, “There are a lot more facts that need to come forward so people can understand what I did do and certainly what I didn’t do.”  “And I would like to send my love and respect to the Ortiz family,” he added.  

The medical bills for Ortiz’s many injuries are expected to amount to over $150,000.  She is still confined to a wheelchair and unable to work at her job at a home security company.  

“I just want to get back to normal,” she commented.  “I want to be able to walk again.  I want to be able to pick up my baby.  I want to get back to work.”  

Earlier this month, Ortiz’s attorney sent notice to the city of Aurora of their intent to take legal action.  Currently, three officers and the city of Aurora, Colorado are named as defendants in the case.  

Find a Lawyer Now

Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.