Study Explores War-Related Brain Injuries

Study Explores War-Related Brain Injuries

UC San Diego has been granted $14 million to conduct a series of studies to identify a link between post traumatic stress disorder and serious brain injuries in our military.

The funds are part of a greater effort to identify better ways to treat injured service members returning home from war.

"We'll be doing studies about the nature of the dysfunction that leads to post-traumatic stress disorder and using advanced neuro-imaging methods to look at how the brain is wired and how damage occurs," said Murray Stein, a doctor and university psychiatry and family medicine professor. "All the studies are intended to find ways to provide better treatment."

Service Members Experience an Increase in Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and Traumatic Brain Injuries

Studies have shown that there has been a steady increase in the number of Marines suffering from post traumatic stress and serious brain injuries each year.

These studies report that 1 in 10 men and women stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan will experience some degree of post traumatic stress and 1 in 20 infantry troops exposed to explosions will experience varying levels of injuries to the brain.

Marines who are exposed to nearby bomb explosions often suffer from more severe brain injuries which can result in continuous physical and mental disabilities.

Study Is Part of a $300 Million Department of Defense Allocation

Due to the increase in post traumatic stress disorder and injuries to the brain, the Department of Defense set out to research and develop treatment for victims of the two conditions. UCSD is only one piece of the larger puzzle.

(Source: North County Times)

Are you or someone you know a service member who has suffered from post traumatic stress or serious brain injuries? If so, please contact an experienced personal injury today who will evaluate your case and make sure your legal rights are protected.

Find a Lawyer Now

Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.