Mother of Beaten Student Sues Teachers, Police

Mother of Beaten Student Sues Teachers, Police

The mother of a middle school student who allegedly suffered physical injuries as well as emotional abuse when she was assaulted by two teachers and a Kannapolis police officer has filed a lawsuit seeking $7 million in damages.

Tabitha Black, of Kannapolis, North Carolina, filed the lawsuit in U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina, Greensboro Division. The lawsuit was filed in federal court claiming a violation of the U.S. Constitution and seeks a jury trial.

The lawsuit claims police misconduct and excessive use of force on her middle school-aged daughter.

The Incident

According to the lawsuit, on November 16, 2006, the daughter, a minor identified in the lawsuit only by her initials, S.B., was behaving in a disorderly fashion and was refusing to do her work.

School officials then called Kannapolis Police Officer Daniel Wallace to intervene.

When Wallace arrived, the lawsuit claims, he twisted S.B.’s arm, put her in a headlock, and threw her to the floor face first.

The Injuries

The lawsuit claims that S.B. suffered physical injuries and emotional distress.

“During the struggle, plaintiff S.B. was thrown to the floor hard enough to knock her ‘silly,’” the lawsuit said.

Medical records from the Northeast Medical Center show that S.B. suffered a contusion to her head, bruising on her hands, swelling over her left eye, and swelling on her cheek.

Black’s lawsuit seeks $7 million in damages for the emotional distress her daughter suffered because of the police misconduct, citing that this was assault and battery by law enforcement.

Suffered physical injuries through no fault of your own? Please contact us today for a complimentary case evaluation by an expert personal injury attorney who can answer your questions and help you recover the compensation you may be eligible to recover, including damages for pain, suffering, and more.

Find a Lawyer Now

Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.