How Much Is My Case Worth?
There are many factors that bear on a particular case's "worth." A personal injury/wrongful death attorney or law firm gives a great deal of attention and investigation time to determine the amount of compensation that will be sought for a plaintiff (the injured person or the surviving family members).
The compensation for personal injury and wrongful death claims depends in part on matters such as:
- the severity and type of injury (including whether the injured person died)
- whether the injury or death was caused by intentional harm (in contrast to negligence or recklessness)
- the age of the victim — this affects, for example, the amount of future lost income and the feelings of a jury toward the victim or his/her family
- whether the injury/illness is curable
- whether there is lasting disability or disfigurement
- the cost of the injured's medical bills — both present and future
- whether the injured can earn a living after being injured, or is unable to work at the same job
- settlements and awards in similar cases
- the geographic area where the case is taking place — this affects the cost of living and thus the compensation
Find a Lawyer Now
Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.