Wrongful Death Lawyer
Wrongful death refers to any fatality that occurs as a result of another individual or corporation's negligence, recklessness or intentional harm. Families of those who have experienced a wrongful death will be entitled to compensation for their funeral expenses, as well as their pain and suffering.
Common causes of wrongful death include:
• aircraft accidents
• car and bus accidents
• exposure to known toxins (including asbestos and benzene)
• medical malpractice
• railroad accidents
• recalled (or unsafe) medications
• slip-and-fall accidents
• unsafe products
• work-related accidents
To win compensation for one of the above, plaintiffs must:
• File their claim and all necessary court documents within their state's statute of limitations (A statute of limitations is a legally binding guideline for how long individuals have to pursue compensation before their claim expires).
• Be able to prove that the wrongful death was the result of another's negligence or recklessness.
Wrongful Death Statistics
Consult these statistics, compiled by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), for a better idea of the prevalence of wrongful deaths. In a given year:
• About 91,000 patients die following preventable medical mistakes.
• Around 7,000 patient deaths occur as the result of medication complications and/or side effects.
• Approximately 5,800 individuals die in work-related accidents.
• Nearly 20,000 slip-and-fall deaths occur.
• Over 17,400 people die in DUI-related accidents.
• Over 45,000 deaths occur in car accidents (with over 5,000 of these wrongful deaths taking place in truck accidents).
Following a Wrongful Death
Loved ones of wrongful death victims should set up an initial consultation with an experienced personal injury lawyer. During this meeting, prospective plaintiffs can:
• Find out if they have a provable legal claim.
• Get a better understanding of the process associated with winning a personal injury lawsuit.
• Learn more about settlements in cases similar to their own.
• Get advice about whether filing an individual case of joining a class-action lawsuit is better for their needs and situations.
Most wrongful death lawyers offer these initial consultations for free, as a way to encourage loved ones of wrongful death victims to seek the compensation they deserve.
With the help of a wrongful death attorney, plaintiffs will benefit from:
• Access to a network of experts who will verify their wrongful death claims when testimony is needed in legal proceedings.
• Professional representation in court, arbitration and/or mediation proceedings.
• Help negotiating with corporate lawyers and dealing with insurance agents.
• Delayed payment for legal services, as most wrongful death lawyers work on contingency.
Has your loved one suffered a wrongful death? If so, contact a wrongful death lawyer today to talk to an experienced wrongful death lawyer who will help you evaluate, file and win your personal injury lawsuit.
Find a Lawyer Now
Search for a Personal Injury lawyer in your state or province by using the forms to the right.